Last Updated on March 12, 2022 by Bruce
If you love hunting deer then you will go home with a lot of meat that your family can consume. One way to preserve the meat is by making deer jerky. Deer jerky is a type of dried meat that is chewy and has a smoky flavour. It can be stored for a long time without going bad, and it’s also very healthy.
Looking for a way to preserve meat?
Deer jerky is a healthy and easy way to preserve meat. It’s perfect for anyone who wants a delicious and nutritious snack that they can prepare themselves.
With this guide, you will be able to make your deer jerky with ease. You will have everything you need to know to get started, including the ingredients and tools you will need. Plus, we provide plenty of recipes for you to choose from so you can find the perfect one for your taste buds.
What you will need?
The ingredients and tools you will need to make deer jerky will vary depending on the recipe you choose. However, there are some general items that you will need for your homemade deer jerky recipe.
- Deer meat (raw meat, sliced meat, ground meat)
- Seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce)
- Smoke flavouring
- A food dehydrator (or an oven)
- Jerky bags or a smoker
- Zip-lock bags
How to make deer jerky?
Now that you have gathered all of the necessary ingredients and tools, it’s time to start making your deer jerky. We have included four easy recipes for you to choose from. However, if you want to experiment with your own flavours, go ahead! The key to making delicious deer jerky is to find the perfect balance of flavours.
Here are the basic steps:
- Cut the deer meat into thin strips- cutting the meat into thin jerky strips is very important, as it will help the jerky to dry evenly.
- Season the meat strips- add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and combine soy sauce to the meat strips and mix well.
- Dehydrate or oven cooks the meat strips- place the meat strips on your dehydrator trays (if using a dehydrator) or on baking sheets (if using an oven). Set the temperature to 160 degrees Fahrenheit and let the meat dehydrate or cook for several hours until it is dry and chewy.
- Store the deer jerky in ziplock bags- once the jerky is cooked, allow it to cool completely before storing it in ziplock bags. Jerky can be stored at room temperature for up to two months.
- Enjoy your delicious deer jerky!- now that you know how to make deer jerky, enjoy it as a healthy and delicious snack! Be sure to share this guide with your friends so they can learn how to make their own.
Deer jerky is a popular snack food that can be made from almost any type of deer meat. It is a great way to preserve meat and it also makes a delicious snack. There are many different ways to make deer jerky, but the following recipe is one of the easiest and most popular methods.
– 1 pound deer meat (trimmed of all fat and sinew)
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the deer meat into very thin strips, about 1/4 inch thick. If the deer meat is frozen, you can use a meat slicer to make this process easier.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and brown sugar. Add the deer meat strips and coat them in the marinade. Let them sit in the marinade for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil.
5. Spread the deer meat strips on a wire rack that is covered with a baking sheet. Pour the apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil mixture over the deer meat strips.
6. Bake in the oven for 3-4 hours, or until the deer meat is dried out and has a jerky-like consistency.
7. Let the deer jerky cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Making deer jerky is a great way to preserve deer meat, and it also makes a delicious snack that can be enjoyed by hunters and non-hunters alike. The recipe above is one of the easiest and most popular methods, but there are many other recipes that can be used. So get out your deer meat and give it a try!
Tips and tricks
Though making a deer jerky is relatively easy, here are some tips and tricks for you to enjoy it even more:
- If you are using a dehydrator, it is important to rotate the trays every few hours so that the meat dries evenly.
- If you are using an oven, be sure to check on the jerky periodically to make sure it is not overcooking.
- To avoid wasting any meat, you can use smaller pieces of meat that are not suitable for steaks or roasts.
- For a more intense flavour, you can marinate the meat strips in your favourite sauce before dehydrating or cooking them.
- If you want a sweeter jerky, you can add sugar or honey to the seasoning mix.
Variations on the recipe
There are many ways that you can change up this recipe to suit your taste.
Here are some ideas:
- Try different seasonings on the meat, such as Cajun seasoning or BBQ sauce.
- Add dried fruits or vegetables to the jerky for a more unique flavour.
- Experiment with different cuts of meat, such as flank steak or turkey.
- Make spicy deer jerky by adding hot peppers to the seasoning mix.
Have fun with it and be creative! There are endless possibilities when it comes to making deer jerky.
Nutritious benefits of Deer Jerky
- Deer jerky is high in protein, which makes it a perfect snack for athletes or anyone who is looking to build muscle.
- It is low in fat and calories, making it a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight.
- Deer jerky is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including zinc, iron, and selenium.
- Jerky meat is also a great source of antioxidants, which can help protect the body against free radicals.
So next time you are looking for a healthy snack that you can prepare yourself, be sure to try deer jerky! You will not be disappointed.
Here’s a compilation of frequently asked questions about making deer jerky:
Q: What is the best way to store beef jerky?
A. Deer jerky can be stored at room temperature for up to two months. However, if you want to keep it longer than that, you can freeze it for up to six months.
Q: Can I make deer jerky with other types of meat slices?
A: Yes, you can use any type of meat that you like to make jerky. However, deer meat is the best choice because it is lean and has a strong flavour.
Q: How long does deer jerky last?
A: Deer jerky will last for up to two months if stored at room temperature. If you store it in the fridge, it will last for up to six months. If you freeze it, it will last for up to one year.
Q: Is making a venison jerky recipe?
A: Yes, venison jerky is a popular type of deer jerky. It has a slightly different flavour than beef jerky, but it is just as delicious.
Q: What is the difference between deer meat to venison jerky?
A: Venison jerky is made out of venison meat, while deer jerky can be made out of any type of deer meat. Venison is a specific type of deer meat.
So, there you have it! Everything you need to know about making delicious deer jerky. We hope that this post has inspired you to get in the kitchen and start experimenting with different flavors and combinations. With a little practice, you’ll be able to create a jerky that is not only healthy and nutritious but also tastes great. What are you waiting for? Start cooking!