Last Updated on July 14, 2021 by Bruce
Paintball is a sport that became popular worldwide. The thrill of fun and adventure attracts more people year after year. It is relaxing and fun, perfect for spending a delightful afternoon with your friends. As the purpose of each game is to develop strategies that can help you win, having adequate equipment is mandatory. Choosing the best paintball gun is not quite an easy task. There are certain things you must consider before making such an investment.
It is very important to establish what type of player you are. Try to determine your best skills in order to find the best paintball gun that can help you maximize your chances to win. Determining the weaknesses of the opposite team is also mandatory as it will give you a glimpse on what you need more: speed or accuracy. But the most important thing is to remember that the purpose of each game is to have fun. Play fair in order to fully enjoy the adventure together with your friends!
6 Main Types Of Paintball Guns
Paintball guns differ in models and functions. Some are manual while others semi-automatic or fully automatic. The size and weight also differ as well as power. Below you can find the 6 common types of paintball guns that can be found on the market. Understanding the specifications of each type is very important in order to be able to find the right one for you.
• Pump paintball gun. This is the basic type of paintball gun. It is 100% manually. This means that in order to set up the gun to be fired you need to pull a pump handle forward and backwards after every shot. This is the first type of paintball gun created. Though it is simple, it is very reliable. As technology is developed, there are few people that still use this paintball gun.
• Semi-automatic paintball gun. This is the most commonly used type of paintball gun. In order to fire it, you need to pull the trigger. Each shot requires a trigger. This gun can be found in two different forms: entirely manual or electro-pneumatic.
• 3-shot burst paintball gun. This is an electro-pneumatic gun that fires three shots with one trigger pull. This type of gun is not as commonly used as other types as most players prefer semi-automatic or full-automatic guns.
• Ramping paintball gun. This type of paintball gun requires a constant triggering but the rate of fire increases gradually. The maximum rate of fire is more than 20 balls per second.
• Fully automatic paintball gun. This type of paintball gun starts firing and continues to do it as long as you keep the finger on the trigger. Each model has a defined rate of fire that you must be aware of.
• Machine gun paintball gun. Though this type of paintball gun does not really exist it is a term frequently used by those that practice this sport frequently. Machine guns are those paintball guns that shoot at a very high speed. It is common for both fully automatic and ramping types. The models that actually have such an aspect are in most cases just semi-automatic guns. So be careful not to fill yourself with a beautiful name.
Top 5 Best Paintball Guns
As presented above there are six main types of paintball guns. In order to find the best one for you, it is important to analyze carefully the specifications of each one that you find interesting. Avoid buying before you see that it can meet your expectations. In order to simplify things for you here is a brief review of top 5 best paintball guns.
Tippmann X7 Phenom .68 Caliber Paintball Marker
Tippmann X7 Phenom .68 Caliber Paintball Marker is the right product for you if you seek performance. It is made of aluminium, and it comes with a modular for grip, removable front, and rear sights as well as a quick-release magazine with built-in storage. The internal gas line and 9.5” high-performance barrel complete this paintball gun.
It is a light and short gun. This is an electro-pneumatic marker. As the spool valve design eliminates recoil you need less aim adjustment between shoots. Turning from semi to full auto is quick and easy. It has a remarkable firing rate, being a perfect option for a great paintball experience.
Tippmann 98 Custom Ultra basic Platinum Series .68 Caliber Paintball Marker
Tippmann 98 Custom Ultra basic Platinum Series .68 Caliber Paintball Marker is a semi-automatic gun that delivers reliable performance. The best thing about it is the fact that it can be easily upgraded according to your needs and performance. In order to upgrade it or modify it, you need to access the internal components. The split receiver design helps you do this quickly and without damaging the marker.
The Picatinny rail along the top of this paintball gun can be upgraded to help you perform better and with greater ease. Thus, you can add a carry handle, scopes and others. When the game becomes serious, you may also want to include key performance upgrades like response trigger, e-trigger kit, and cyclone feed system. The receiver is completely made of aluminium, so it is a long-lasting and reliable marker.
Tippmann A-5 .68 Caliber Aluminum Paintball Marker
This paintball gun is durable and reliable due to the aluminium body. It also has an inline bolt system, low profile hopper as well as front and slight rear mounts. The performance ported barrel is of 8.5” high. The cyclone feed system has an incredible fire speed of 15 balls per second when the batteries are out.
Tippmann A-5 .68 Caliber Aluminum Paintball Marker can be field stripped in less than 60 seconds even if you do not carry additional tools. It is an incredible light paintball gun with easy to remove push pins. It is an affordable gun known for its ability to be customized. Within few moves and with the right accessories and features you can make it suitable for woods or scenario play.
Invert MINI Paintball Gun – Dust Black
Invert MINI Paintball Gun – Dust Black is the lightest and tightest electronic markers. It weighs only 1.99 lbs including the barrel. It works with a 9-volt battery and regulator. This paintball gun is known for its outstanding velocity. Other features include: break beam anti-chop eyes standard, multi-mode firing capability with easy tournament lockout.
This marker has a magnet returned trigger for better speed and accuracy. It has no hoses to crimp or break. As it is very light and easy to carry it is a great choice for active paintball matches like those in the woods. It never chops paint, and it is very smooth. The low pressure provides you with more efficiency and less air used.
Dye Proto Rail Paintball Gun
This paintball gun features fuse bolt technology. The maintenance is simplified due to the color coded o-rings. The durable solenoid features airflow provides a dwell of 40 milliseconds. The regulator is small and lightweight so it can be easily adjusted. Moreover, this type is equipped with an adjustable trigger for smoother use.
Dye Proto Rail Paintball Gun is based on solid construction. The body, the bolt and the trigger are made of aluminium. The design aims for top-level performance, and the price is quite reasonable. The pipe shield is made of polycarbonate, so it protects the self-cleaning anti-chop eye system from dirt and broken paint. Moreover, the eye pipe system prevents miss feeds as well as double feeding. The beautiful and ergonomic design of this paintball gun will transpose you right in the middle of the action providing great fun and winning.
Establish Your Budget
The first thing you must do when you decide to buy the best paintball gun is to establish a budget. There are many types of such weapons on the market so you will be easily taken away by shapes and features. It is important to know that prices vary from $100 to $900 so you may be surprised how much money you will spend if you skip this step.
The cost of a paintball gun depends on two main things: brand and features. The price range of the five top weapons presented above is between $179 (Tippmann A-5 .68 Caliber Aluminum Paintball Marker) and $399 (Tippmann X7 Phenom .68 Caliber Paintball Marker). This is why it is advisable to analyze these aspects before choosing a model in particular. Make sure that you get the best price features ratio as it represents the key to success on the battlefield.
When you establish your budget, you must also think about how often you plan to use the paintball gun. If you will only use it from time to time, then it is useless to empty your pocket. A cheaper option is a valid choice. On the other hand, if you are going to play at least twice a month then you must be prepared for higher investment. Look for weapons that are fast, accurate, consistent and easily upgradable. This will assure a long-lasting gun and great winnings.
Tips To Help You Choose The Best Paintball Gun
With so many types and designs on the market, it may be hard to find the best paintball gun for you. Even if in most cases the price represents the decisive factor there still are other things that you must consider. As such a purchase represents an investment, you must definitely do your best to make it a long time one. In order to make thing easier for you, below you can find useful tips for a reliable purchase.
• The right marker. Each type of player requires a certain paintball gun in order to be effective on the battlefield. There are three main types of players: beginners or occasional, consistent rec ball and tournament or league team. The first type of players must start with a marker that is not expensive and non-electric. The best part about them is the fact that they can be upgraded if you plan to invest more time in this sport. Consistent rec ballplayers must look for low to middle-level electric paintball gun. Avoid looking for cheap types as you will have to either replace it or upgrade it. Professional players such as those that participate in tournaments or league team must choose the best paintball gun they can afford. It must have great features and the best performance in order to be efficient. For easier and faster movement look for markers that are light and accurate.
• Position and playing style. Your playing style is extremely important when choosing such a weapon. If you are an active player that likes to track down the opposite players, then you must look for electronic triggers and loaders as they will provide a higher rate of fire. Static players, on the other hand, work better with highly accurate guns.
• Air source. There are two types of air sources that make the paintball gun operative: CO2 and HPA (High-Pressure Air). CO2 is the most common choice. HPA, on the other hand, provides a greater number of shoots and is more consistent. When it comes to price, paintball guns that operate on CO2 are less expensive than the ones that operate on HPA.
• Upgrades. Upgrades are meant to help you build up the paintball gun according to your style and needs. They are also useful for people with lower budget as they can constantly add certain pieces to their gun and make it more preferment. The most common upgrades available are electronic trigger, barrel, electronic loader, buttstock and scope.
• Repair parts. Sooner or later each paintball gun needs certain maintenance. This is why it is important to look for models that have repair parts available, so you do not have to wait too much until you have it fixed. Avoid purchasing guns that do not have a repair kit as you may end up with a broken weapon that cannot be fixed.
• Read reviews. Before buying a paintball gun, it is advisable to play with rented or borrowed ones. It is the best way to decide which style is best for you. Also, remember to read reviews in order to see what others have to say about a certain weapon and to determine the pros and cons of purchasing it.
As it can be seen buying the best paintball gun is not an easy task. There are many types and designs, so it is extremely easy to be mesmerized by them and forget why you decided to purchase such an item. Establishing your budget is vital so never start looking for such a weapon before accomplishing this important step. The features of the gun are also very important as they are designed for different types of players.
Remember that you do not have to be disappointed by a small budget as you can improve your paintball gun in time. Just make sure that you choose one that can support alterations. As paintball is a sport remember the number one rule: fair play.