The term bushcraft was introduced by the “Bush Tucker Man“, Les Hiddins and Mors Kochanski, two nature lovers and professional outdoor survivalists. It is often used in Anglo Saxon countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand and USA to represent and signify wilderness skills. In other words, it means living in extreme harsh environment or natural outdoors and having the special skills needed to adapt and survive in that environment. Hence, before one attempts to be a survivalist in the wild, one will need to learn basic bushcraft skills such as hunting wild animals, making shelters to keep oneself dry, skinning game, starting a fire cook food and to keep warm as well as tracking in the jungle. Some of the most important survival tools to use include axes, compasses, knives and machetes.
One of the most important skills to have when it comes to bushcraft is the ability to choose and have one of the best bushcraft knife since it makes all the difference between life and death in many outdoor situations. Now, I will list out the top 3 best bushcraft knives that I’ve found to be high-quality and excellent in terms of performance.
Top 3 Best Bushcraft Knives
1) Condor Tool & Knife Bushlore 60004
If you are looking for a no-nonsense bushcraft knife, then you may have found your knife when you see the Condor Tool & Knife Bushlore 60004. It has a 4.375-inch drop point blade which can cut, shred and slice through anything plus its contoured walnut handle makes it easy to use anywhere.
- Blade Finish: Blasted Satin
- Blade Length: 4-5/16″
- Blade Material: 1075 High-Carbon Steel
- Blade Thickness: 3.0 mm
- Handle: Hardwood
- Overall Length: 9-5/16″
- Sheath: Black Leather
- Weight: 0.77 lbs
- The Condor Tool & Knife Bushlore 60004 has a lot of surprises up its sleeve. It may look like an ordinary knife at first but once you use it you can tell that it has been designed with all the comforts of the user in mind. First it is very light; thus you can use it in almost all projects indoors and outdoors. You can carry it anywhere since it has its own sheath which is by the way specially designed to carry the knife safely.
- This knife has a sharp edge and needs little prepping to keep it in tip top shape. It retains its finish no matter how often you use it. The sharpness is comparable to expensive and high-quality knives in the market.
- The handle is beautiful and is contoured for an easy and safe grip. The wooden handle actually is a plus when you want to engrave the knife with an emblem or a name. The knife does not wobble or make unnecessary movements even when used regularly. The handle is well-constructed, durable and practical.
- This knife is versatile. It can be used to cut soft things like vegetables as well as hard stuff like leather. It will retain its sharp edge too.
- The most common is the need to polish the blade after every use but other than this it is a simple, straightforward and efficient knife tool that may be used indoors and outdoors.
The Condor Tool & Knife Bushlore 60004 is a handy knife that can do so many things. It can retain its sharpness and the handle allows you to securely and safely use the knife for different kinds of projects.
2) Morakniv Bushcraft 10791
When you first see the Morakniv Bushcraft 10791 you will notice that this knife means business. There are no designs and no fantastic handles; only a knife with a threatening fixed blade. It is tough looking as it is tough to use in any kind of indoor or outdoor projects. If you are looking for an all-around Bushcraft Knife then the Morakniv Bushcraft 10791 is the knife for you.
- Blade Finish: Black Tungsten DLC
- Blade Length: 4.3″
- Blade Material: High Carbon Steel
- Blade Thickness: 3.2 mm
- Handle: Rubber
- Overall Length: 9.15″
- Sheath: Plastic
- Weight: 5.75 oz
- Weight: 0.77 lbs
- The Morakniv M-10791 is a serious looking knife that is built to do almost every kind of job. The blade is made of thick and highly-durable carbon steel that will last its sharpness for as long as you use it. It requires very little maintenance after use; just a little rinse and it is ready to be used again. The blade has a durable anti-corrosive coating that lasts.
- The handle is secure and makes the knife easier and safer to use. It is contoured for an easy grip and it made of highly durable rubber that will never slide or slip when used even when wet.
- The knife stores neatly and securely inside its very own plastic sheath which has a belt clip so you can carry the knife anywhere.
- The sheath is plastic and may not last as long as the knife will and with the very sharp point of the Morakniv Bushcraft 10791, it would not be long when the tip of the sheath will give way. Therefore a stronger and more durable sheath should be considered.
The Morakniv Bushcraft 10791 is a perfect all-around or utility knife to use. It has a durable blade and a secure handle that can outperform other knives of the same function and size. The sheath may need some work since it looks flimsy and cheap.
3) Spyderco Bushcraft FB26G
The Spyderco Bushcraft FB26G is a fixed-blade bushcraft knife that you will gladly take outdoors with you. It is light with a simple design that could work with any kind of outdoor tasks at hand. And since it is made by Spyderco, expect great quality and extreme versatility. If you are searching for a survival knife then you may have found your knife in the Spyderco FB26G.
- Blade Finish: Nil
- Blade Length: 4.1″
- Blade Material: O1 Tool Steel
- Blade Thickness: 3.6 mm”
- Handle: G10
- Overall Length: 8-3/4″
- Sheath: Leather
- Weight: 7.8 oz
- Weight: 0.77 lbs
- The Spyderco Bushcraft FB26G holds all the features of a real bushcraft knife. It is strong and versatile which means it can handle any kind of jobs outdoors as well as indoors. It can be used to kill and prepare fish and wild game, it can dice and slice foods for an outdoor meal and will be useful for chopping, cutting, sharpening and whittling. You do not need to use any other knife when you have this knife at hand.
- You do not need to waste time prepping and sharpening the blades either since it is made of tool steel that will sharpen easily. You waste no time in maintaining your knife so you can have more time exploring the outdoors.
- The handle is beautifully made with efficient contours so you can hold it with care and ease. No need to worry about sliding and slipping since it is well-constructed and built to hold the blade in place forever. The sheath that came with the knife is made of hard leather so your knife stays sharp and safe when you bring it anywhere.
- This is one of the most expensive knives online at about $182.00. There are so many knives that cost a fraction of the price of this knife that has the same features and dimensions.
The Spyderco Bushcraft knife is a strong, versatile and well-designed knife. The blade is very sharp and retains its sharpness while the handle is safe and very durable. Nevertheless, it is very expensive but as they say there is no price for high quality knives that will never let you down no matter what the job is.